Lab skills workshop for young researchers provides learning opportunities for students
Monday, Dec. 4, 2023 | Written by Beth Jones
OLATHE — Kansas State University Olathe will be hosting a one-day workshop to provide entry-level, hands-on training for college and graduate students on Jan. 6, 2024.
The Introduction to Basic Laboratory Skills and Contract Research Organizations workshop will provide attendees with a basic overview of lab equipment, protocols and procedures. Learners from Olathe, Manhattan and the Kansas City region are welcome to attend and will have an opportunity for applied practice, which will help them become industry ready.
This workshop is offered via a partnership between K-State Olathe and KCAS Bioanalytical and Biomarker Services.
Students will begin the day at K-State Olathe for a morning of learning, exercises and experiments in the campus’ labs. Attendees will learn about micropipetting, as well as chemical and microbiological analyses. Biosafety will also be covered.
The afternoon portion of the event will be at KCAS Bioanalytical and Biomarker Services, where attendees will tour the business’ custom labs and learn about careers in lab work and pathways to positions as an industry scientist.
Each learner will walk away with the ability to:
- Demonstrate technical skills used in a laboratory setting
- Demonstrate laboratory safety protocols
- Understand general principles of experimental design and data analysis
- Write protocol documentation, laboratory notes and technical professional communication
- Apply the processes and knowledge gained in practice
- Discuss the use of laboratory data to support preclinical and clinical research
- Understand the basis of research assays and how results are interpreted
Attendees should wear long pants and closed-toed shoes for safety while in the lab but are encouraged to show school spirit by wearing a shirt that represents their alma mater.
Learn more and register at olathe.k-state.edu/labskills.