STEM Summer Camps for Middle School Students
Important UpdateIn an effort to maintain safety and keep the community safe against COVID-19, the in-person STEM summer camps have been canceled for this year. Full refunds will be issued to those who registered. Registrants are encouraged to check their email for more details.
This summer, K-State's Olathe campus is offering a free, week-long, virtual summer camp designed to support STEM-based knowledge in a fun and safe environment. The content is designed for students entering sixth grade and leaving eighth grade.
Fun with Food Science: Dairy Discovery Days | July 13-17
Do you like to cook (and eat)? This camp is for the junior scientist who wants to know the how and why of food. Throughout a week, campers will conduct cool experiments and take virtual tours with professional chefs and our K-State experts.
All experiments can be conducted with ingredients and kitchen equipment you probably already have on hand. Just in case, a list of ingredients will be supplied a week before the camp.
This is a free camp.
Time and Location
10-11:30 a.m. July 13-17 via Zoom.
- Monday — Overview of the dairy industry, working in basic food safety, nutrition concepts and some career insights.
- Tuesday — How cheese is made — from the chemistry, process, forms of coagulation, safety and quality.
- Wednesday — Virtual field trip to a larger bovine dairy, food safety, possibly Kansas regulatory presence, and some career insights.
- Thursday — All about ice cream. Some further processed products, food safety and some career insights also will be covered.
- Friday — Show us your product. Participants will show the cheese or ice cream product they made and we'll chat about it as a group.
*Please note that some activities may change.
We've hit our 100 person limit. That said, you can be added to the wait list so that if a registrant does not attend, their spot can be filled by someone on the wait list (via a first-come, first-serve basis).
Additional Summer Camps
Looking for more STEM summer camps? Kansas State University offers summer camps at its Manhattan and Polytechnic campuses.