B.S. in Hospitality Management
This undergraduate program is for professionals in the hospitality industry who are wanting to complete their bachelor’s degree in hospitality management. The program is designed to provide professionals with managerial and leadership skills to advance their careers.
• 8- and 16-week courses that meet once a week.
• Ability to specialize in an area most applicable to your career.
• Full-time faculty/advisors with experience as practitioners.
• Competitive, flat-rate tuition and fees, regardless of state and city of residency.
• Scholarship opportunities.
• Established hospitality management program that dates back to 1952.
• Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA).
• Application of skills relevant to all aspects of hospitality and guest services.
• Immediate use of concepts and skills in your work environment.
• Full-time faculty/advisors with lodging and restaurant experience.
• A working relationship with Johnson County Community College, Kansas City Kansas Community College and Metropolitan Community College.
Opportunity to Specialize
The hospitality management program at the K-State Olathe campus is flexible and tailored to the Greater Kansas City region. Students can customize their degree to match their career goals by chosing from the following three tracks of interest:
• Lodging management
• Restaurant management
• Meeting and event management
• Club management
The curriculum is designed to prepare working professionals in the hospitality industry to become better leaders and managers in lodging, restaurants, clubs, conference centers, event spaces, sales and human resources. A systems approach to hospitality management will be explored in the curriculum and 900 hours of handson experience is required.
• Hotel, restaurant and event operations
• Cost controls in hospitality operations
• Sales and promotions
• Beverage management
• Service systems
• Revenue management
• Facilities management
• Human resource management
• Hospitality law
• Advanced hotel operations
Some courses are offered in person and other courses are offered online. In-person classes meet once a week at the K-State Olathe campus. Online options through K-State Olathe campus also will be used. Most courses are 16 weeks in length.
The following professions are available to graduates with a bachelor's degree in hospitality management:
|Owner/Entrepreneur||Director of events|
|General manager||Conference service manager|
|Director of rooms||Revenue manager|
|Director of sales||Director of food and beverage|
The program is designed for students to complete their bachelor’s degree in two to three years, depending on course transferability.
A degree in hospitality, along with work experience, will open doors to a richer hospitality leadership position. In addition, the program’s faculty are well connected with area hospitality leaders — allowing you to live in KC, work in KC and earn your degree in KC.
Enrollment is open for the fall 2018 semester.